NAVIGATING THE LOSS OF A LOVED ONE
LOSS OF A SPOUSE
No matter the circumstances, you can never fully prepare for the devastating loss of your spouse or partner, and it can be overwhelming trying to make decisions about finances while grieving. Depending on the specific details and the support you have around you, there will be a number of urgent matters to deal with as well as many things that will play out over time.
At California Wealth Transitions, we have extensive experience in assisting women who have recently lost their spouse and are left with complicated estates, including multiple investment accounts, real estate properties, businesses, etc. Our wealth advisors are here to help you navigate the financial steps you need to take immediately after your loss as well as in the coming months and years.
FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS AFTER LOSING A SPOUSE
We work closely with other financial professionals on your team, including accountants, tax preparers, and estate attorneys, to determine your current financial picture and how it has been impacted by your loss. You may have questions about:
- Social Security Survivor Benefits
- How to Obtain Death Certificates
- Updating Titles of Financial Accounts & Assets
- Projecting Your Future Income and Cash Flow
- Simplifying Your Finances
- Meeting with Your Kids
- Reviewing Long-term Care Plans
- What is the “step up in tax basis” and why should I care?
- Updating Your Beneficiaries (401k and other retirement
plans, IRAs, Life Insurance Policies, Family Trusts, etc.)
- Collecting Life Insurance Benefits
- Pension Survivor Benefits
- Trusts / Updating Successor Trustees for your Family Trust
- Understanding Tax Implications
- Accessing Your Spouse’s Digital Assets (social media accounts, photos, and videos)
At California Wealth Transitions, we specialize in helping women who are facing some of life’s most challenging financial transitions. We have extensive experience in providing expert advice for widows who are navigating the loss of their spouse and the changes to their financial situation that entails.